We found out Saturday that Brad needed to be med-evac’d from Bangui, CAR to Johannesburg, South Africa. He had been very sick all week and they didn’t know what was wrong. He had a fever and some abdominal pain and they thought it might be his gall bladder. They finally went to the doctor at a local clinic Thursday and he suggested that they fly to a major medical center if possible. Arrangements were made, but Maria still wasn’t sure if there would be a seat for her on the plane. They only had Tylenol on hand and Brad was in a lot of pain. They went back to the local clinic early Sat. morning and they were able to do an ultrasound – they discovered a blood clot in a vein going to his liver along with an inflamed spleen. They put him on an IV (morphine) and the plane left around 1:00. Maria was able to go with him.
They landed in Johannesburg around 10:00 p.m. that night and were transported to Milpark Hospital where he was placed in the ICU. After running some tests, they confirmed 3 blood clots total – splenic, portal, and mesenteric. They have put him on blood thinners and are waiting for a few more test results. He has a team of doctors: surgeon, pulmonary specialist, vascular specialist, and was also consulted by a lung specialist. The doctors have told Maria that surgery is not an option to remove the clots. They have also said that Brad will remain in the hospital for at least a week. Brad is very uncomfortable but receiving lots of pain meds, and telling jokes to all the staff in the ICU.
Prayer requests from Maria: clear resolution, complete diagnosis, wisdom on long-term treatment, and that the doctors don’t miss anything. Please also pray that Brad remains hopeful and gets some rest.
Tim Pate, pastor
Main Street UMC